Do you want to be able to wear masks with calm and confidence? Wearing masks can be uncomfortable for some people, and can cause anxiety. It is not uncommon if you have had traumatic experiences when wearing masks of any description in the past, or if you have had experiences that have restricted your breath to feel a sense of dread at putting one on. But you can change this! and learn to wear a mask with calm and confidence. In this short video and the accompanying tracks you can learn tools and techniques that make it much easier to wear a mask.
My top tips on wearing masks
1. Name your masks, give them an identity and see them as your protector!
2. Choose masks that feel comfortable, take time finding a fabric that feels comfortable and that you can breathe easily in, for example silk is a great filter and is very breathable. Ensure that it fits properly, if you wear glasses it can make a massive difference having a mask that you can shape around the nose (nose shaper).
3. Choose masks in a colour that you find soothing.
4. Remember that you can always choose to leave a shop and take your mask off. If you are in a supermarket leave your trolly someone safe, so you can come back to. If you are waiting for an appointment, tell them that you are stepping outside until you are called.
5. If you are walking upstairs or are physically exerting yourself, even if a little, your breathing will naturally quicken and it is harder to take deep breaths in a mask, this is normal. If this makes you feel anxious, stop for a few minutes and just ground yourself, take it slowly. Use the 321, relax with the hand movement to refocus.
6. Use the grounding technique BEFORE you get anxious, as well as those moments you are feeling anxious.
7. Make a relaxing playlist, or find a podcast that you can listen to whilst walking around the shops or waiting for an appointment.
8. If you have a phobia from a trauma related to masks, think about booking and appointment with a hypnotherapist who works with trauma, many of us are working online.
When should I listen to the tracks?
You can listen to the long track whenever you choose, but do not listen to it whilst driving
The shorter track is designed for when you are about to put your mask on, it will talk you through and help you feel calm as you put it on to go out.
Make sure you watch the video and learn the grounding technique and 321 relax hand distraction as well. This is great when you are out and about. It’s a discreet but calming technique.